Arizona Aggravated DUI
Tough Defenses from Tucson’s Premier DUI Defense Firm
Nesci & St. Louis is the premier DUI defense law firm in Arizona. Our entire practice is devoted exclusively to criminal defense and DUI defense so that we can provide the most aggressive and effective representation to our clients state-wide.
If you have been charged with aggravated DUI under Arizona Revised Statute 28-1383, you face mandatory prison time and a felony record. Our lawyers know what it takes to achieve the best possible outcome in your case.
When DUI is Charged as an Aggravated Felony
DUI is charged as an aggravated felony in Pima County and throughout Arizona when one or more of these additional elements applies:
- It is your third DUI arrest within a seven-year period, measured from the date of the first incident to the date of the current incident.
- Your driver’s license was cancelled, restricted or suspended at the time of your DUI arrest.
childunder the age of 15 was in the vehicle at the time you were allegedly driving under the influence.
In all other cases, DUI is charged as a misdemeanor regardless of the blood alcohol content (BAC) — contrary to what most people think.
Penalties for Aggravated DUI in Arizona
Aggravated DUIs predicated on the defending having two prior DUI convictions in seven (7) years, or on having a suspended or revoked driver’s license are charged as Class Four felonies. A charge of aggravated DUI based on the presence of a minor under 15 in the car is a Class Six felony. A conviction for aggravated DUI raises the maximum penalties, which vary depending on the class of felony charged, whether you have prior DUI offenses and whether you were arrested on companion charges.
Sentencing for a Class Four DUI felony conviction includes:
- Mandatory state prison time — not permitted to be served in the county jail
- Mandatory fines and surcharges on the fines
- Mandatory ignition interlock device installation
- Mandatory license revocation of driving your driving privileges
- Loss of your civil rights, including the right to possess a firearm
Why You Should Hire Our DUI Attorneys to Protect Your Rights
If you are facing felony DUI charges in Arizona, you require aggressive, knowledgeable representation. Our attorneys have the extensive backgrounds in handling these cases, the training on the relevant issues, and the focus needed to win, including:
- Certification as a Specialist in Criminal Law by the State Bar of Arizona
- Certification as a Specialist in DUI Defense by the National College for DUI Defense (as authorized by the American Bar Association)
- Training as Standardized Field Sobriety Test Instructors in National Highway Traffic Safety Administration courses
- Training as Standardized Field Sobriety Test Administrators in National Highway Traffic Safety Administration courses
Training as an Intoxilyzer 8000® Breath Alcohol Technician
sin a U.S. Department of Transportation course
- Ownership of an Intoxilyzer 8000® breath test device to use in investigative re-creations and courtroom demonstrations
- Training on laboratory blood testing in an American Chemical Society course
- Authorship of numerous books and articles about DUI defense
- Experience as instructors, training other lawyers and judges at more than 200 State Bar and defense conferences on DUI issues
Consult an Experienced DUI Lawyer in Pima County
Fight your felony DUI charges! Call Nesci & St. Louis today at (520) 999-2441 or contact us online to schedule your free initial consultation.