Russell Hughes has been admitted to practice law in both Arizona state courts and the United States District Court in Arizona since 1985. Russell practiced for several years in private criminal defense before going to work for the Tucson City Public Defender’s office, where he worked as a supervisor for over twenty-five years. Much of his supervisory work included mentoring and training other attorneys in that office. In the public defender’s office, he gained a wealth of experience in criminal defense, especially DUI defense. His depth of experience includes extensive trial and motion practice, as well as appellate advocacy, including litigating appeals in the Arizona Supreme Court. He has particular familiarity with Arizona city courts and Justice courts where he has had extensive trial experience.
An Arizona native, Mr. Hughes is a 1984 graduate of the University of Arizona law school, where he published a casenote in the Arizona Law Review as a student. Russell received his Bachelor of Science with a dual major in History and Political Science, and a minor in Business Management from Northern Arizona University in 1981.
Mr. Hughes volunteered as a Board Member for the non-profit Tucson Old Pueblo Credit union for a number of years. In addition to holding positions on committees for that institution, Mr. Hughes was elected Chairman of their Board of Directors in 2009.
- State v. Prentiss, 161 Ariz. 65, 775 P.2d 1129 (App. 1988).
- State v. Prentiss, 163 Ariz. 81, 786 P.2d 932 (1989).
- David G. v. Pollard ex rel. County of Pima, 207 Ariz. 308, 86 P.3d 364 (2007).
- BA, Northern Arizona University, 1981
- Double Major: History and Political Science
- Minor: Business Management
- JD, University of Arizona College of Law, 1984
- Arizona State Bar, 1985.
- United States District Court, 1985.
- Arizona State Bar Association, Member.
- Pima County Bar Association, Member.
- Arizona Attorneys for Criminal Justice, Member.
Tucson Old Pueblo Credit Union
- Board of Directors, Member, 2008-2011
- Chairman, 2009-2010
- Lending Oversight Committee, 2009-2010
- City of Tucson, Management Development Institute, Graduate.